In recent weeks, we learned that Bill Goldberg is no longer under contract to WWE and is currently a free agent. Rumors have begun swirling with some hoping Goldberg might be headed to AEW, where they seem to treat legends with the upmost respect.
Goldberg addressed the rumors during a recent interview with 93.7 The Ticket. He said Vince McMahon had promised him a retirement match but never came through, so Goldberg is considering doing his own retirement tour.
"I'll stop the rumor mill right now." Goldberg said. "The reason why these rumors are out there is because Vince McMahon and I had a handshake understanding that after the Roman Reigns match, I would have a proper retirement match and that hasn't come to fruition through them and so therefore, nobody puts a stamp on my career, nobody tells me when I'm done, period, end of story. And when somebody tells me that, I kind of like to fight against it. I like to do things my own way and I go out my own way and I certainly don't go out under Roman Reigns three weeks after I have COVID and agreed to a match.
"So, if I go on a world tour and promote it myself, that's a possibility. Hey, I'm a businessman and I'm fortunately in the position, I firmly believe, to where I can still make it happen. At the end of the day, like I said, I do believe that my character deserves a proper send-off and until that happens, I don't believe I'm hanging them up. So, anything and everything is an option.
"I'm very much leaning toward promoting it myself and doing a four city world tour. So, let the rumor mill start up after that."
My guess on the cities? Chicago, London, Tel Aviv and maybe something wild like Dubai. I don't have an immediate idea for a dream opponent for Goldberg who isn't currently signed to WWE? My first thought is Brian Cage or Keith Lee, but those don't seem big enough.
What's on TV this week?
NXT is on tonight at 8pm eastern:
- The Grayson Waller Effect with Carmelo Hayes
- NXT Tag Team Champions Gallus (Mark Coffey & Wolfgang) defend against The Dyad (Rip Fowler & Jagger Reid) and The Creed Brothers (Julius & Brutus Creed) in a triple threat match
- NXT North American Champion Wes Lee defends against Charlie Dempsey
- Roxanne Perez vs. Zoey Stark
- Noam Dar returns to action
MLW Underground tonight at 10pm on REELZ:
- War Chamber match (Similar to War Games): Alex Hammerstone and the Second Gear Crew (Mance Warner, 1 Called Manders & Matthew Justice) vs. The Calling’s Rickey Shane Page, AKIRA and ??? (with Raven)
AEW Dynamite is live on TBS tomorrow at 8pm:
- TNT Championship: Powerhouse Hobbs defends against Wardlow
- Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter vs. Toni Storm & Ruby Soho
- The Acclaimed (Max Caster & Anthony Bowens) & "Daddy Ass" Billy Gunn vs. Matt Menard, Angelo Parker & Jake Hager
- Jay White vs. Komander
- The Elite speak
- Chris Jericho & Adam Cole face-to-face confrontation
- FTR appearance
Ring of Honor on Thursday night airs on HonorClub with this lineup:
- ROH TV Champion Samoa Joe defends against Colt Cabana
- AAA Mega Champion El Hijo Del Vikingo vs Gringo Loco in a non-title match
- ROH Women's World Champion Athena vs. Heather Reckless in a Proving Ground match
- The Kingdom (Mike Bennett & Matt Taven) w/Maria Kanellis-Bennett vs. Action Andretti & Darius Martin
- Robyn Renegade w/ Charlette Renegade vs. Willow Nightingale
- The Iron Savages (Boulder & Bronson) vs. Ren Jones & Logan Lynch
- Penta El Zero Miedo w/Alex Abrahantes vs. Nick Comoroto
- Konosuke Takeshita vs. Lee Moriarty
- Alex Reynolds & John Silver vs. Lee Johnson & Cole Karter
- Brian Cage w/Prince Nana vs. Joey Jett
- Lance Archer vs. Jah-C
Impact Wrestling on Thursday at 8pm on AXS TV has this lineup:
- Kushida and Motor City Machine Guns vs. Trey Miguel, Jonathan Gresham and Mike Bailey
- Moose vs. Yuya Uemura
- Joe Hendry vs. Sheldon Jean
- Frankie Kazarian in action vs a member of The Good Hands
WWE Smackdown on Friday at 8pm has a good card:
- WWE Women’s Tag Team titles: Liv Morgan & Raquel Gonzalez (c) vs. Sonya Deville and Chelsea Green
- WWE Intercontinental title: Gunther (c) vs. Xavier Woods
- The Viking Raiders vs. Braun Strowman and Ricochet
AEW Rampage airs on a special night, Saturday at 10pm and has a killer match announced:
- AAA Mega Championship: El Hijo del Vikingo defends against Dralistico
More wrestling news:
CM Punk is in negotiations to return to a new Saturday AEW show. It will be a two-hour block and might be the start of a roster split for AEW. The rumor is that Punk will be feuding with Jericho, as we speculated over the weekend. Punk is expected back sometime in June.
Cody Rhodes vs. Brock Lesnar is official for WWE Backlash in Puerto Rico. Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and Matt Riddle vs. The Usos and Solo Sikoa has also been added.
WWE reached an agreement with its talent to allow them to stream on Twitch again. WWE will take a small cut of their profits, but wrestlers will be able to stream freely. The only exception is WWE will need to clear a wrestler who is not under contract for them to appear on the Twitch stream.
Mercedes Mone's final match with New Japan/Stardom is this weekend. Dave Meltzer reports she is in negotiations to extend her contract for one more match and earlier in the day, World of Stardom Champion Guilia challenged her to a title vs. title match.
Hangman Page addressed his controversial interview from last year where he said "I’m stubborn, I don’t take advice," that is believed to be the catalyst for CM Punk going off on him. On Instagram, Page wrote "the reports that i 'don't take advice' have been greatly exaggerated, perhaps by no one more so than me. advice and feedback, particularly from those who have come before, have always been and always will be welcomed and appreciated. my self-deprecating and dry insistence otherwise just comes from a place of being more personally interested in wrestling as an art than a sport. it would've been hollow for Picasso to try to paint a mona lisa. i kinda thought i'd have been asked about it by now and could've clarified. i just wouldn't want any of the older generation, especially those whose work with us is vital and unknown to fans, to feel that their wisdom is dismissed. i am also still in search of the cheese puffs. let me know if you find them. thank you."
While New Japan was in Philadelphia, new IWGP champ SANADA posed with the Rocky statue:
Trish Stratus delivered an awesome heel promo on Raw last night: